Procuring driving licence could get tougher

, December 26

The is preparing to tighten the process through which can procure licences by making both the written and trial examinations stricter for large as well as small vehicles.

Gogan Bahadur Hamal, director general at the Department of Transport Management (DoTM), informed that they are preparing the draft of the act that will govern the entire transportation sector to address the federal structure of the country.

“We have plans to complete the drafting process soon and get the final act endorsed through the ongoing session of the Federal ,” he added. “We have proposed to change the examination method to avail licence to operate larger vehicles in the Federal Vehicles and Transport Act.”

According to Hamal, the number of fatal accidents involving public transport has been rising every passing year.

He informed that as per a study conducted by DoTM, 80 per cent of the road accidents occur due to the negligence of the drivers. “The remaining 20 per cent includes human error, mechanical faults, bad road conditions and careless pedestrians.

Hence, our major goal is to amend the licence test by targeting drivers,” he stated.

“We are planning to introduce a three-month formal course for licence aspirants, which will include subjects related to the mechanical condition of vehicles, overall condition of vehicles and also the way that drivers behave with passengers, among others,” Hamal added.

Read the full article on The Himalayan Times.

Read Previous

Eggspensive: Poultry prices up after farmers’ foul play

Read Next

86pc progress in rebuilding of private houses

Got any Comments/ Questions?